Author/co-author of 340 papers in technical journals
and conference proceedings. Author of book on
TBM Tunnelling in Jointed and Faulted Rock,
2000, and on Rock Quality, Seismic Velocity,
Attenuation and Anisotropy, 2006.
Selected key publications:
1. Barton, N., Lien, R. & Lunde, J. 1974.
Engineering classification of rock masses for
the design of tunnel support. Rock Mechanics.
6: 4: 189-236.
2. Barton, N. 1976. The shear strength
of rock and rock joints. Int. Jour. Rock Mech.
Min. Sci. and Geomech. Abstr., Vol. 13, No. 9:
Also NGI Publ. 119,
3. Barton, N. & Choubey, V. 1977. The
shear strength of rock joints in theory and practice.
Rock Mechanics 1/2:1-54. Vienna: Springer.
Also NGI Publ. 119,
4. Barton, N., Bandis, S. & Bakhtar, K.
1985. Strength, deformation and conductivity
coupling of rock joints. Int. J. Rock Mech. &
Min. Sci. & Geomech. Abstr.
22: 3: 121-140.
5. Barton, N. 1986. Deformation phenomena
in jointed rock. 8th Laurits Bjerrum Memorial
Lecture, Oslo. Publ. in Geotechnique, Vol. 36:
6. Barton, N., By, T.L., Chryssanthakis, P.,
Tunbridge, L., Kristiansen, J., Løset,
F., Bhasin, R.K., Westerdahl, H. & Vik, G.
1994. Predicted and measured
performance of the 62m span Norwegian Olympic
Ice Hockey Cavern at Gjøvik. Int. J. Rock
Mech, Min. Sci. & Geomech.
Abstr. 31:6: 617-641.
7. Barton, N. 2000. TBM Tunnelling in Jointed
and Faulted Rock. 173p. Balkema, Rotterdam.
8. Barton, N. 2002. Some new Q-value correlations
to assist in site characterization and tunnel
design. Int. J. Rock Mech. & Min. Sci.
9. Barton, N. 2006. Rock Quality, Seismic
Velocity, Attenuation and Anisotropy. 729p. Taylor
& Francis, UK & Netherlands.
10. Barton, N. 2011. From empiricism, through theory, to problem solving in rock engineering. ISRM Cong., Beijing. 6th Müller Lecture. Proceedings, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 1, Qian & Zhou (eds), pp. 3-14.
11. Barton, N. 2013. Shear strength criteria for rock, rock joints, rock fill and rock masses: Problems and some solutions. Jour. of Rock Mech. and Geotech. Eng., JRMGE Wuhan, Elsevier, 5(2013) 249-261.
12.Barton, N. and E. Grimstad, 2014. Tunnel and cavern support selection in Norway, based on rock mass classification with the Q-system. Norwegian Tunnelling Society, NFF, Publ. 23. 39 p.
13. Barton, N. and B. Shen, 2018. Extension Strain and Rock Strength Limits for Deep Tunnels, Cliffs, Mountain Walls and the Highest Mountains. Rock Mech. and Rock Eng. Springer on-line. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-018-1558-2, 18p.